Wednesday, January 20, 2010

An Animal of Suicidal Pride


I've been going over the lyrics to "No Children" in my head and out loud since I woke up today, as I want to do the song as open mic tonight. Doing so reminded me of an instance where I expressed more of myself than even I am comfortable doing.

There is a line in the song that goes, "I hope that if I found the strength to walk out, you'd stay the hell out of my way." One night, drunk, shirtless, soon to fall over the back of a couch, I sang along with that line in this way; I hope that if I found the strength to hold on, you'd stay the hell out of my way.

It got a laugh. But it wasn't at all intentional.

On a second note, there is the name of the band, The Mountain Goats. John Darnielle was on the Colbert Report shortly before the Atlanta show and Colbert asked him, "Why mountain goats?" He says something to the effect of, "Mountain goats are great. They're very interesting animals. They are very strong and fast and can climb very steep mountains because of their great strength. They can jump, too. But they're very prideful. Sometimes a mountain goat will get to the top of a tall mountain and there will be some wide riven he will see and think he can jump, so he will try to jump it. Of course it would be impossible for him to make this jump, and he falls to his death."

No comments:

Post a Comment